WIKITUDE - AR TRAVEL GUIDE
"TELLS YOU WHAT YOU SEE!"
Wikitude is a mobile travel guide for the Android platform based on location-based Wikipedia and Qype content. It is a handy application for planning a trip or to find out about landmarks in your surroundings; 350,000 world-wide points of interest may be searched by GPS or by address and displayed in a list view, map view or cam view.
Wikitude AR is a Top-50 finalist in Google's Android Developer Challenge . Wikitude has been launched along with the G1 phone in October 2008 and is now available in the Android Market.
LATEST WIKITUDE NEWS
- Wikitude is being presented at a G1 press conference in Hamburg, Germany, on Monday, Jan 19.
- Wikitude is now available in German and Nederlands!
POINTS OF INTEREST
Search 350,000 world-wide points of interests based on your current GPS location and address. To get started as easily as possible, two search options have been provided:
- Simple Search allows users to initiate a search just by pressing "Start Search"
- Advanced Search offers users additional search options (category, distance, and search term)
MAP, LIST, ...
SEARCH RESULTS MAY BE VIEWED ON A MAP ...
Search results are displayed on a map (normal or satellite mode) as orange dots. There is a text bubble containing a short description next to the selected point of interest.
... AND CAMERA
SEARCH RESULTS MAY BE VIEWED ON THE PHONE'S CAMERA SCREEN
The truly compelling feature is the augmented reality cam view, users may hold the phone’s camera against a spectacular mountain range and see the names and heights displayed as overlay mapped with the mountains in the camera. Users may look out of an airplane window to see what is down there. Users may walk through a city like Seville, Spain, holding the phone’s camera against a building and Wikitude tells what it is.
WE KEEP YOU UPDATED
Wikitude v4.6 (Initial version in the Android Market)
- Bug fix when GPS remained on
- Increased size of click area on camera view: Clicking a point of interest to view details on the cam view has been made easier by increasing the size of the click area.
- The text bubble has been darkened on the cam view to improve the readability of the text.
- Compass correction added.
- Added additional text to explain compass calibration. Made the compass calibration message green, to avoid confusion with message to keep screen in landscape mode.
- Changed text size of very close points of interest on the cam view.
- Fixed accuracy
- Added distance slidebar to camera view. Using this slidebar you can change the distance in which you would like to have points of interest displayed.
- Added a new update link to inform if a new version is available.
- Added a meter/miles support.
- Fixed bug that no POIs were shown on the cam view when doing a "next page"
- Fixed bug that some POIs were shown outside of the compass in the cam view; fixed problem that distance on compass was different from slider distance
- International version of Wikitude has been launched: Available menu languages are currently English, German, and Dutch.
- Content update for English content.
- New: There is content available in German, Dutch, Czech and Polish. Use the Settings to choose the content languages you want to search.
- Bug fix: Under some conditions, the location could not be retrieved and Wikitude referred to the G1 settings to enable GPS and Network location, even if it was already on. This has been fixed.
- Additional menu languages available: Polish, Czech.
- New: Improved location determination on the search form.
- Bug fix: There was a bug that the cam view remained black when you returned to the cam view from the detail view, map view, or list view. This has been fixed.
Wikitude v5.09 (Current version in the Android Market)
- Integration of Qype-content added.